firefox stuck in kserel

Daniel Eischen deischen at freebsd.org
Sun Nov 21 21:55:49 PST 2004

On Sun, 21 Nov 2004, Steve Kargl wrote:

> > > kargl[281] firefox
> > > Fatal error 'Recurse on a private mutex.' at line 988 in file /usr/src/lib/libpthread/thread/thr_mutex.c (errno = 0)
> > > Abort trap (core dumped)
> >
> > What page?  I was running at firefox at work with this patch.
> > The recurse shouldn't happen.  Are you still using plugins?
> >

> One more tidbit.  I re-installed your patch and deleted
> linuxpluginwrapper and linux-flashplugin6.  The above
> patch works fine.  Of course, any web page that use flash 6
> becomes somewhat useless.

I don't think it's anything libpthread is doing.

> I also rebuilt libpthread with debugging option -g.  The
> trace shows
>
> (gdb) bt
> #0  0x48a77a2b in kse_thr_interrupt () at kse_thr_interrupt.S:2
> #1  0x48a65d1e in sig_daemon (arg=0x0)
>     at /usr/src/lib/libpthread/thread/thr_sig.c:214
> #2  0x48a6fae7 in kse_sched_single (kmbx=0x17f)
>     at /usr/src/lib/libpthread/thread/thr_kern.c:880

Something is hosed because the mailbox in kse_sched_single() is
garbage.

> #3  0x00000000 in ?? ()
> Current language:  auto; currently asm
> (gdb) quit
>
> This doesn't make any sense to me, so maybe gdb is having
> trouble tracing the core dump.

I don't know.  The backtrace looks OK 'cause kse_sched_single()
is the upcall entry point, but the KSE mailbox (kmbx) is not
correct -- it should be a pointer and looks more like what %gs
would be.

--
DE