Loaded MySQL 4.0.18 w/ KSE running nicely

Julian Elischer julian at elischer.org
Mon Mar 22 16:50:24 PST 2004

On Mon, 22 Mar 2004, Kris Gale wrote:

> > WRT compiling/linking/libmap.conf.  I have Mysql 4.0 running
> > on -current just fine, and so does the mysql maintainer.
>
> This is something I've said on this list quite a few times, but it
> may help shed some light on this situation:
>
> MySQL does run very well on -current, even handling huge loads
> in terms of queries per second.  The problem is with surges of
> incoming connections.  If multiple clients try to connect
> simultaneously, things bog down terribly.
>
> Up until a few weeks ago, a surge of incoming connections
> would end up causing my -current system to panic and reboot
> about half of the time.
>
> A recent fix must have corrected this, because I can't reproduce
> the kernel panic (which I could do very consistently before).
> However, the problem with things bogging down has gotten
> much, much worse.

you need to help us here..

if you have the ability to simulate this then
contact me and we can try various debugging techniques to see what is
going on.

> I've posted a backtrace of the crash dump to the list, and also
> a perl script which I was using to see the problems.
>
> If someone is just using a small number of clients (or script that
> just makes few connections) to test MySQL, it will appear to run
> beautifully.  The performance in such a scenario is drastically
> better than under 4.x.

WHat if you artificially give it one burst of heavy load first?
does it handle subsequent loads well?

does it act any differently when you use process scope threads instead
of system scope threads? (I think Dan sent you the patch to mysql to try
this)