Loaded MySQL 4.0.18 w/ KSE running nicely

Daniel Eischen eischen at vigrid.com
Mon Mar 22 12:43:21 PST 2004

On Mon, 22 Mar 2004, Kris Gale wrote:

> > WRT compiling/linking/libmap.conf.  I have Mysql 4.0 running
> > on -current just fine, and so does the mysql maintainer.
>
> This is something I've said on this list quite a few times, but it
> may help shed some light on this situation:
>
> MySQL does run very well on -current, even handling huge loads
> in terms of queries per second.  The problem is with surges of
> incoming connections.  If multiple clients try to connect
> simultaneously, things bog down terribly.
>
> Up until a few weeks ago, a surge of incoming connections
> would end up causing my -current system to panic and reboot
> about half of the time.
>
> A recent fix must have corrected this, because I can't reproduce
> the kernel panic (which I could do very consistently before).
> However, the problem with things bogging down has gotten
> much, much worse.
>
> I've posted a backtrace of the crash dump to the list, and also
> a perl script which I was using to see the problems.

And I use still use your script to test MySQL, except that
I use don't override the default for key_buffer, and I also
patch MySQL to use process scope threads.

> If someone is just using a small number of clients (or script that
> just makes few connections) to test MySQL, it will appear to run
> beautifully.  The performance in such a scenario is drastically
> better than under 4.x.

$ cat /etc/my.cnf
[client]
port            = 3306
socket          = /tmp/mysql.sock

[mysqld]
set-variable = max_connections=6000
port            = 3306
socket          = /tmp/mysql.sock
skip-locking
#set-variable    = key_buffer=1024M
set-variable    = max_allowed_packet=1M
set-variable    = table_cache=512
set-variable    = sort_buffer=1M
set-variable    = record_buffer=1M
set-variable    = myisam_sort_buffer_size=128M
set-variable    = thread_cache=1
set-variable    = thread_concurrency=1
server-id       = 1
skip-innodb