Possible Threading problem with -CURRENT / MySQL?

Robert Watson rwatson at freebsd.org
Wed Jun 16 05:25:52 GMT 2004

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004, Julian Elischer wrote:

> On Mon, 14 Jun 2004, mike wrote:
>
> > welcome to our hell. we've been experiencing mysql problems on freebsd 5.x
> > as well. it sounds like scheduler/threading is to blame but we were not
> > able to give sufficient or proper motivation to the folks who could
> > examine this deeper - we even offered $500 cash to whomever stepped up to
> > help resolve this.
> >
> > linux runs almost 2x as fast on the same hardware with no configuring -
> > and we get nearly the same results running in single CPU mode vs. dual CPU
> > mode on fbsd... something is definately fubar with the mysql+fbsd5.x
> > combination.
>
> You complained about this some time ago and you have still not responded
> with the information I suggest..

I sent this to Jeremy privately, since it was just some preliminary
measurements, but figured I'd send it publically since the results were
interesting (if tentative, I need to do a lot more work to make them
useful.  There are a number of variables I need to look at including:

- Disabling HTT.  A chat with Scott Long this evening suggests that HTT
  may be substantially hurting the test cases given increased IPIs, etc.
  Unfortunately, it looks like I can't easily twiddle HTT without being
  local to the machine, and I'm at home right now (it being 1:30am and
  all).   Removing HTT may help substantially with the dip in performance
  in the SMP configuration.

- I'd like to compare against RELENG_4 and a recent Linux kernel.
  Unfortunately, the box is configured for neither right now.

- I need to try twiddling schedulers -- this was with SCHED_ULE, and I'd
  like to try SCHED_4BSD.

- This was without adaptive mutexes, which seem to be helpful for others,
  so I should give them a try.

I don't have any amd64 hardware, so I don't know what if any role it will
play in the results.  The performance drop observed in the report appears
to be on amd64 (I may have misread).

robert at fledge.watson.org      Senior Research Scientist, McAfee Research

----