All my amd64 problems appear to be KSE

Sean McNeil sean at mcneil.com
Fri Jun 4 21:21:38 PDT 2004

On Fri, 2004-06-04 at 21:06, Daniel Eischen wrote:
> On Fri, 4 Jun 2004, Sean McNeil wrote:
>
> > I just switched over to libc_r via. libmap.conf and I no longer get any
> > mysterious crashes of applications in gnome.  My gnome-terminals and
> > everything else are just fine now.
>
> How were you using libpthread?  It's best to use libmap.conf
> to map everything to libpthread so that libc_r isn't pulled
> in by libraries still linked to it.

This is a completely rebuilt machine from a working i386 install that
has tracked -current forever.  There is absolutely nothing that is
compiled and pointing to libc_r.

I use to have libmap.conf point as follows:

libpthread.so                  libpthread.so
libpthread.so.1                libpthread.so.1

With this, gnome-terminal will crash constantly.  I normally have 2
windows with 4 tabs each running.  It crashes when I log in and they
crash at odd times when I try to start a new one from either nautilus
menu or panel button.

With libmap.conf set to

libpthread.so.1                 libc_r.so.5

gnome-terminal works as it is suppose to.  No crashes at all.  Firefox
is the only thing I have trouble with now - it crashes when I type in a
character to the google search text widget.  This was the behavior with
kse before, so it is probably not thread related.

libpthread is broken somewhere on amd64.  Or it is possible that kse is
uncovering an issue with something else.  I frankly do not trust
libreadline.  It doesn't seem to work well with pthreads.  I noticed
several warnings when doing a buildworld in readline.

But the bottom line is that gnome is practically unusable with all the
crashes when using kse and appears quite stable with libc_r.

This is with a system built entirely from -current as of today (Friday
June 4).  Updated ports as well.

Cheers,
Sean