[kde-freebsd] Compiling arts in -CURRENT without -pthread

Will Andrews will at csociety.org
Sat Sep 20 12:48:29 PDT 2003

On Sat, Sep 20, 2003 at 02:45:02PM -0400, Daniel Eischen wrote:
> It should probably check for:
>
>   1) PTHREAD_LIBS
>   2) -lpthread
>   3) -lc_r

Yes, that's what our patch (in testing) does now.

> No, we don't have libpthread yet.  We are waiting
> for ports to catch up to the PTHREAD_LIBS changes
> and then libkse will be renamed back to libpthread.
> If we change it now, some ports may be unbroken
> because they find -lpthread, but yet may still
> half-heartedly support PTHREAD_LIBS.  So setting
> PTHREAD_LIBS to something other than libpthread
> won't break the port but will cause it not to
> run correctly (if at all).  We also want to be
> able to select any of our threading libraries
> regardless of the existence of -lpthread, so
> falling back to -lpthread should probably only
> happen when building outside the ports system
> (PTHREAD_LIBS not defined).
>
> > Why is FreeBSD not exporting an -lpthread like others seem to be?
>
> To help you guys.  Just like removing -pthread ;-)

Your plan seems to have bumps in it.  I suggest a more graceful
approach next time, like announcing to ports@ the removal a lot
sooner, removing it at least a month before any ports freeze, and
generally pushing people to implement things the way you want
them.  The way it's gone so far, I'd say -CURRENT users are
suffering the brunt of the problem caused by your abrupt removal
of the -pthread option.  Even if they're supposed to be able to
put up with rough waters, it could have been done better anyway.
"We obsoleted -pthread 2 years ago" does not help us, sorry.

Regards,
--
wca