Call for thread testers

Scott Long scottl at freebsd.org
Wed Aug 27 10:07:04 PDT 2003

Sean Chittenden wrote:
> [moving to -threads]
>

>>This is kind of an unconventional call for help.  As we approach the
>>release of 5.2, we'd really like to show off the performance and
>>stability of our new threading packages.  So, I'm looking for people
>>to volunteer to go out and put some of the thread-capable enterprise
>>and desktop packages to the test.  Packages that I would most like
>>to see are:
>>
>>Apache 2
>>BIND 9
>>OpenOffice
>>Mozilla
>>KDE desktop + Konq
>>Java 1.3/1.4 + Tomcat/etc
>>MySQL
>>Others?
>>
>>The questions that I would like to have answered are:
>>
>>Does it take advantage of pthreads
>>Does it work with libkse and libthr
>>Does it operate correctly
>>Does it perform better/worse than with libc_r
>>Does it perform better/worse than under FreeBSD 4.x
>

> What's the current status of KSE?  Is the project page
> (http://www.FreeBSD.org/kse/) considered up to date by the KSE
> developers?  Are the remaining bits for KSE either bug related or
> dealing with ARCH != x86?  Are there any remaining/outstanding
> "gotchas"/bugs on the radar/problems that the KSE developers are aware
> of?

I'll review the page today and see about getting it updated if needed.

> I've heard that the konsole bug has been fixed and there's a patch
> floating around to fix the SIGABRTs for that program (was my biggest
> gripe last time I tested libkse).

That patch was added to the kde port, correct?

> Just trying to figure out what my expectations should be with regards
> to testing at this point.  Is KSE to the point that it's ready for
> performance testing or is stability still a concern?

David Xu has been doing a lot of bugfixing work over the summer, so
stability should be good enough to start tests.  What I'm really looking
at is plain data collection.  Not only are performance numbers nice,
but success/failure/disaster reports are incredibly valuable in making
the thread libraries sellable and credible.  A simple, "Apache2 won't
start when linked with libkse" will get people motivated to investigate
and fix it.

Scott