Call for thread testers

Gerald Pfeifer gerald at pfeifer.com
Wed Aug 27 09:35:30 PDT 2003

On Wed, 27 Aug 2003, Scott Long wrote:
> Packages that I would most like to see are:
> [...]
> Others?

Wine? (ports/emulators/wine)

Though I'm currently fighting to get the CVS version cooperate on
4-STABLE, given recent changes to the threading support in Wine.

> The questions that I would like to have answered are:
>
> Does it take advantage of pthreads
> Does it work with libkse and libthr
> Does it operate correctly
> Does it perform better/worse than with libc_r
> Does it perform better/worse than under FreeBSD 4.x

What would be extremely helpful, IMHO, would be guidelines how to
use the various kinds of threading support (especially in the ports
collection).

Especially, how should we update ports so that they work both on 4.x and
5.x and, optionally, take advantage of the other threading packages?

Is there some nice overview somewhere?

Gerald

PS: For example, our system compiler on -STABLE fails to build Wine if
sources are compiled with -pthread, but linked without this option, while
this works fine with stock GCC 3.2.3 (which is most likely due to problems
in Wine, not FreeBSD or GCC, but still a problem).
--
Gerald Pfeifer (Jerry)   gerald at pfeifer.com   http://www.pfeifer.com/gerald/