Call for Help: Flame Graphs and Continuous Integration

Craig Rodrigues rodrigc at FreeBSD.org
Tue Nov 25 01:57:57 UTC 2014

On Sat, Nov 22, 2014 at 5:58 PM, Allan Jude <allanjude at freebsd.org> wrote:

> On 2014-11-22 17:23, Craig Rodrigues wrote:
> > FYI:
> >

> https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-testing/2014-November/000667.html
> >
> > Please send follow-ups to freebsd-testing at FreeBSD.org
> >
> > --
> > Craig
>
> I would be interested in working on this. It shares some requirements
> with another tool I am working on: https://wiki.freebsd.org/bvt
>
> What exactly are you looking to generate a flamegraph of?
> What do you want to profile?

Ahh, good.  It looks like you are interested in similar things.
We will make better progress if we work together and collaborate.

I would like to focus on getting a working prototype going first, and then
refine the test case and test environment later.  There are a lot of
software components to link together, so just going through the exercise of
tying things together, and refining things over time is worth it.

I would like to start with:
    (1)  Take the existing scripts in the
https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd-ci repo which
           boot and test bhyve VM with kyua.
    (2)  Refactor/modify/copy/whatever the scripts so that we can generate
a flamegraph instead of running kyua.
    (3)  Pick some type of load to generate during the
    (4)  Create a Jenkins job to boot the VM, generate the load, and
generate the flamegraph

If this is something you are interested in working on, it will be very
helpful.
Also, by accumulating various scripts in the
https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd-ci repo,
we will have reusable stuff that people can use in their own efforts to
benchmark and test FreeBSD.

Thanks.
--
Craig