Test scenario for sysctl kern.maxfiles

Julio Merino jmmv at freebsd.org
Thu Mar 6 18:09:33 UTC 2014

On Thu, Mar 6, 2014 at 12:45 PM, Alan Somers <asomers at freebsd.org> wrote:
> I suggest the more specific name "allow_sysctl_side_effects".  As I
> continue to add tests, config variables like this will become more
> important.  In particular, I have some tests that create and destroy
> zpools, some that can cause panics, some that load modules, etc.
> Before I can upstream all of them, we'll need to agree on a consistent
> set of config variables that control test case execution.  I haven't
> put much thought into it yet.

Sure; more granularity++.  I haven't put any thought on this though so
please propose something :)

Whatever we decide, 1) these variables need to be documented in
tests(7), 2) a ready-to-enable template in
ports/devel/kyua-cli/files/kyua.conf.in about them would be beneficial
and 3) src/projects/jmmv/autotest/ should switch these on.

>  How does NetBSD handle tests that have
> potentially harmful side effects?

They don't AFAIK. The thing is that not that many tests have
side-effects because the majority of kernel-level tests use rump to
avoid this problem and be more reliable/deterministic. The few that
have side-effects have ad-hoc cleanup routines.