Generating Kyua test result output in JUnit XML format for Jenkins integration?

Craig Rodrigues rodrigc at FreeBSD.org
Mon Mar 3 21:27:18 UTC 2014

On Sun, Mar 2, 2014 at 12:26 PM, Julio Merino <jmmv at meroh.net> wrote:

> (As I mentioned in the other thread) this is relatively easy to do and
> we have enough time to get it going by May 15th.
>
> The path of least resistance to get this out for now is:
>
> 1. Reintroduce support for --output=format:path to 'report' so that
> 'report' can output more than one format. The existence of
> 'report-html' as a separate command is a pretty ugly hack.
>
> 2. Split out the console-specific formatting from cmd_report.cpp into
> a separate module to clearly expose what is part of the formatting and
> what is not. Adding JUnit XML support should not require changes to
> other code.
>
> 3. Add a new module with the JUnit XML formatting code.

I think that these are all fine goals.
I might be able to help with 3.

> (Longer-term, I am pondering the option of converting all the
> report-generation code to Lua with extensive support for hooks. This
> would allow you to tweak the output format without having to change
> Kyua internals.)

That's something to think about.
After a few days of research I found two other test result output formats:

(1)  TestNG, which is a successor to JUnit:
http://testng.org/doc/index.html ,
       TestNG DTD: http://testng.org/testng-1.0.dtd.php

(2)  Test Anything Protocol, http://testanything.org/

I don't know how widely these formats are used, but people *are* using them.

The easier we make it to customize Kyua's output formats, the easier it
will be
to get more people to use Kyua.

--
Craig