Freebsd test areas or available test suites

Alan Somers asomers at freebsd.org
Thu Jun 12 15:14:19 UTC 2014

On Wed, Jun 11, 2014 at 10:37 PM, KS <kanthgadu2 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello people,
>
> I have been actively following freebsd mailing list since one week. You are
> doing a great job.

Since you're a relative newcomer I'll start from the beginning and
assume nothing about what you may already know.

> I work on small term projects using FreeBSD. I would like to know if you
> guys can refer to any test areas/scenarios and/or any available test suites
> that are available.

Yes!  This mailing list is all about discussing FreeBSD's builtin test
suite.  To install it, you'll have to rebuild world.  On CURRENT or
stable/10 (not stable/9), set WITH_TESTS="yes" in /etc/src.conf, then
rebuild world according to the instructions here:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/makeworld.html
You should now have the test suite installed at /usr/tests.  To run
it, you must install devel/kyua from ports, then do:
$ cd /usr/tests
$ kyua test
$ kyua report

See tests(7) for more details.

In addition to the standard test suite, there are some tests in
/usr/src/tools/regression.  They aren't run automatically, so some of
them may be broken.  Converting them to the standard test suite is a
work in progress.  But if there's a specific feature that you want to
to test, you may find a relevant test in there.

-Alan