Makefile.inc1.patch

Simon J. Gerraty sjg at juniper.net
Thu Jan 23 22:40:04 UTC 2014

On Thu, 23 Jan 2014 13:30:12 -0800, Garrett Cooper writes:
>> Not crazy about frobbing ${MAKE}
>
>Neither am I, but .export is a bmake only feature. I=92m still using =
>fmake :(.

Not necessarily a good excuse ;-)

>> The semantics in bsd.own.mk are quite broken and result in a lot of =
>complex
>> dancing to keep things working.
>
>In this case though, this is complex dancing due to how the different =
>stages stack upon one another in the build process and the fact that =
>meta make isn=92t here (yet), so things have to be built in the right =
>order. This method is one that I=92ve been using for quite some time =
>without any side effects on multiple machines...

Actually a simple tweak to the bsd.own.mk semantics would alleviate of
lot of the pain.  Throwing errors if MK_* is already set, or if both
WITH_* and WITHOUT_* are set makes the usage very messy indeed.

For options.mk I allow MK_* to already be set and WITHOUT_* to take
precedence over WITH_*.  I also allow makefiles to have their own lists
of options - separate the policy from the mechanism.

I guess you could even allow a per-knob setting as to which takes
precedence.

By simply allowing WITHOUT_* to overrule WITH_*, the Makefile.inc1 usage
would be greatly simplified.