Refactoring of *.test.mk

Julio Merino julio at meroh.net
Tue Oct 15 02:44:54 UTC 2013

Hello all,

[ CCing a few people directly that are probably interested. ]

After the recent removal of the deprecated ATF tools from the tree, I
have been working on a refactoring of the FreeBSD *.test.mk Makefiles
to add various features that spilled from that change.

The highlights of this work so far:

- Clearly documented the interface of each *.test.mk file by putting
the list of public variables at the top and adding comments where due.

- Split the logic to build framework-less test programs into a new
plain.test.mk file.  This is in accordance with atf.test.mk, but also
helps clarifying the code, defining a proper interfac in bsd.test.mk
and makes some of the other changes simpler.

- Added support to generate both Atffile and Kyuafile files.

- Added support to run the tests using both atf-run and kyua (from ports).

You can find the relevant patches in:
http://portal.meroh.net/~jmmv/freebsd-testing/ .

The patches have been generated using quilt so take a look at the
contents of the 'series' file to see in which order they would need to
be applied.

Each patch has a description at the top which can later be used as the
commit log.

Note that, at the moment, this can only be exercised in
lib/libcrypt/tests/ . I actually wanted to write some tests for
*.test.mk themselves (!) but I wouldn't want to spend time on that
before agreeing that this structure is sensible. If it is, I might put
the effort ;-) See the ones here
http://cvsweb.netbsd.org/bsdweb.cgi/src/tests/share/mk/?only_with_tag=MAIN
to get an idea of what they could look like.

Anybody up for reviewing these patches and sharing their comments?

Thanks!

--
Julio Merino / @jmmv