lang/tcl86 man pages

Pietro Cerutti gahr at FreeBSD.org
Tue Feb 13 12:39:07 UTC 2018

On Feb 13 18 12:30, Daniel O'CONNOR wrote:
>Hi,

Hi,

>Iqhave built this port with TCLMAN set (on FreeBSD 12) but (say) "man
>list" doesn't show anything.
>
>I note there is the file
>/usr/local/man/mann/list.tcl86.n.gz
>
>and "man list.tcl86" works though.

Yes, this was the solution chosen to allow different versions of Tcl to
cohexist. You can install tcl85 and tcl86 in parallel, and they won't
have conflicting man page files because of the suffix.

>Is there a way to have an alias so the plain man pages work?

Not out of the box, I fear. What you could you is to redefine MAN_SUFFIX
in lang/tcl86/Makefile. pkg-plist will need adjustment as it hardcodes
the tcl86 part. So we could add MAN_SUFFIX to the PLIST_SUB list and use
that in pkg-plist.

If you have a better suggestion, I'm all ears :)

--
Pietro Cerutti