RFC: Patches to achieve bsdinstall script without dialogs

Ellis H. Wilson III ellisw at panasas.com
Fri May 15 17:01:20 UTC 2015

On 03/24/2015 10:35 AM, Allan Jude wrote:
> These changes look ok to me.
>
> 2 main things: These would need to be based on HEAD not 10.1 in order to
> be committed

Nathan, Allan, et. al.:

Please see attached for a new set of patches based off of HEAD.  Sorry
this took some time for me to get back to.  Notes follow:

The following experienced no real changes between 10.1 (which my last
patches were based on) and HEAD, and therefore can be deemed completely
safe:

  usr.sbin/bsdconfig/share/common.subr
  usr.sbin/bsdinstall/scripts/checksum
  usr.sbin/bsdinstall/scripts/script

The following experienced changes, but the existing patch went through
without any problems.  I visually inspected it afterwards and it looked
perfectly fine:

  usr.sbin/bsdinstall/partedit/scripted.c

The following experienced minor changes such that the patch failed, but
only needed minor modifications to achieve the same intent:

  usr.sbin/bsdinstall/partedit/partedit.h
  usr.sbin/bsdinstall/partedit/partedit.c

The following was significantly changed from the 10.1 version.  Since
the new version used dpv, which makes ASCII output difficult, the
cleanest solution I could identify was to forward port some of the old
logic.  There may be a better way to do this, but this is my attempt.  I
defer to the original author's best judgement.

  usr.sbin/bsdinstall/distextract/distextract.c

All of our machines are running 10.1 or older, so I wasn't able to
compile and test the changes above since they lack dpv.  I therefore
fired up a VM and made sure they at least compile.  Particularly in the
last case (distextract), the patch should be tested before being
committed.  I apologize I don't have the resources to do this myself
currently.

Best,

ellis