FAQ help: bsdinstall documentation

Nathan Whitehorn nwhitehorn at freebsd.org
Tue Jan 22 14:39:41 UTC 2013

On 12/15/12 00:06, Eitan Adler wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> The following questions in the FAQ mention sysinstall in the answer.
> I am looking for new content to fix, replace, or update these
> questions.
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/faq/book.html#bootmanager-restore
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/faq/book.html#new-huge-disk
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/faq/book.html#nt-bootloader
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/faq/book.html#dangerously-dedicated
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/faq/book.html#forgot-root-pw
>
> I am willing to
> - turn the content into docbook [1]
> - edit content for clarity and English grammar
> - commit the final result
>
> If anyone is interested in helping please reply to this email message
> with some new content.
>
> [1] patches to the documentation are appreciated as they make my job
> easier, but they are not required.

Devin did a good job of answering these questions, but I had a few more
thoughts:

1. The "dangerously dedicated" section is completely obsolete. The
section can probably just be deleted. An alternative would be something
that talks about the relative merits of MBR, BSD (formerly "dangerously
dedicated"), and GPT partitioning -- MBR vs. GPT being the really
important bit.

2. The jails documentation (not part of your email) should probably be
revised in light of the bsdinstall jail /path/to/newjail target, which
installs a jail system to a directory without rebuilding world.
-Nathan