Installer on serial-console-only-embedded system

Nathan Whitehorn nwhitehorn at freebsd.org
Mon Aug 12 14:15:06 UTC 2013

On 08/12/13 08:25, CeDeROM wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 12, 2013 at 3:11 PM, Kimmo Paasiala <kpaasial at gmail.com> wrote:
>> You can easily detect that the system has a COM port. However, it is
>> very hard to detect that there is a working terminal attached to the
>> port.
>> -Kimmo
> Hey Kimmo :-) Wouldn't "who" or "w" show that what terminal is
> user/installer running on? :-P Sorry I don't have that device for
> testing at hand, but try to verify that with some older hardware :-)
>
> Best regards! :-)
> Tomek

The tricky part is that this is very platform dependent and we have
chosen to make the default be "off" on x86 for serial consoles. At the
end of the install process, you are given an option to edit the files on
the new system, of course, but we may also want to revisit these
defaults (serial consoles are on by default on most other architectures).
-Nathan