bin/164281: bsdinstall(8): please allow sysinstall as installer option

CeDeROM cederom at tlen.pl
Wed Jan 25 22:30:09 UTC 2012

The following reply was made to PR bin/164281; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: CeDeROM <cederom at tlen.pl>
To: Devin Teske <devin.teske at fisglobal.com>
Cc: "bug-followup at freebsd.org" <bug-followup at freebsd.org>
Subject: Re: bin/164281: bsdinstall(8): please allow sysinstall as installer option
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2012 22:02:26 +0000

 Hello Devin and thank you for your response! :-)

 Having that option would be great, unless its too much work to prepare
 two separate install methods if you say they need different boot
 method. I was told bsdinstall replaced sysinstall because it has new
 features unavailable to sysinstall and its better to maintain. Now I
 also see more about their difference and that it is not possible to
 simply put bsdinstall as sysinstall option. I can understand that
 change and I can understand this makes no bigger sense to develop both
 of the installers anymore at the same time as they work in a totally
 different way from system perspective and if the bsdinstall is really
 better. Right now this is clear for me those are two different
 programs based on two different mechanisms. I was just suprised
 bsdinstall was passed and replaced the good installer without
 implementing existing sysinstall functionalities first (i.e. does not
 allow to perform fresh install over existing one, set installation
 options, choose media before commit, etc), and this is very important
 from user perspective. Now its already in production, so it should
 develop rapidly and bring the good sysinstall functionalities again
 soon :-)

 Btw. are there any comparison documents/articles between
 functionalities of old boot method used by sysinstall and the new boot
 method used by bsdinstall to see the advantages of the new method? :-)

 Best regards! :-)
 Tomek