bin/164094: bsdinstall(8): installer progress over 100%

Mark Linimon linimon at lonesome.com
Fri Jan 20 15:20:14 UTC 2012

The following reply was made to PR bin/164094; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Mark Linimon <linimon at lonesome.com>
To: bug-followup at FreeBSD.org
Subject: Re: bin/164094: bsdinstall(8): installer progress over 100%
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2012 09:18:01 -0600

 ----- Forwarded message from Ariane van der Steldt <ariane at stack.nl> -----

 Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2012 10:46:43 +0100
 From: Ariane van der Steldt <ariane at stack.nl>
 To: Nathan Whitehorn <nwhitehorn at freebsd.org>
 Cc: freebsd-bugs at FreeBSD.org, eadler at FreeBSD.org,
 	freebsd-sysinstall at FreeBSD.org

 I came under that impression because fdisk didn't work, while before
 installing freebsd, it did work. gpart, due to its name and coupled with
 a refusing fdisk, made me jump to the conclusion that I had been given a
 GPT table.

 Is there a technical reason that geom is not automatically activated on
 every partition table? It seems to me that unifying these would reduce
 complexity and confusion to the end user. And I see no reason why the
 boot volume has this recognized and activated automatically, but other
 devices don't.
 --
 Ariane

 ----- End forwarded message -----