bin/164095: bsdinstall(8): using optional mount point field while partitioning results in error

Nathan Whitehorn nwhitehorn at freebsd.org
Sun Jan 15 17:57:28 UTC 2012

On 01/13/12 23:31, Ariane van der Steldt wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 07:50:14PM -0600, Nathan Whitehorn wrote:
>> On 01/13/12 19:16, eadler at FreeBSD.org wrote:
>>> Old Synopsis: installer: using optional mount point field while partitioning results in error
>>> New Synopsis: bsdinstall(8): using optional mount point field while partitioning results in error
>>>
>>> Responsible-Changed-From-To: freebsd-bugs->freebsd-sysinstall
>>> Responsible-Changed-By: eadler
>>> Responsible-Changed-When: Sat Jan 14 01:15:02 UTC 2012
>>> Responsible-Changed-Why:
>>> assign and fix synopsis
>>>
>>> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=164095
>>> Installer partition selection claims I must enter a mountpoint.
>>> Filling in the mountpoint tells me I must not enter a mountpoint.
>>
>> I can't reproduce this. Can you provide more details?
> Hi Nathan,
>
> You need another OS already installed on the disk already, in my case I
> reproduced by installing Windows XP in a 8GB partition on an 80GB disk.
> If you don't have another OS installed, the dialogs will not appear.
>
> Please see attached screenshots:
> - 01: the dialog that came up
> - 02: what I filled in
> - 03: the resulting error dialog

You can't provide a mountpoint for nested partitions. Since that dialog
has a file type field, it can't conditionally remove the bottom line,
which only applies to FAT32 or freebsd-ufs or such partitions. I guess
something about this could be added to the existing help line, but it's
already a little long. At some point we're likely to do a rototill of
the partition adding dialog, and will make this a little clearer. For
now, you have the error dialog that says you should leave it blank.
-Nathan