sysinstall as a post-install tool

Ron McDowell rcm at fuzzwad.org
Wed Jan 4 03:12:16 UTC 2012

Eitan Adler wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 3, 2012 at 9:50 PM, Ron McDowell <rcm at fuzzwad.org> wrote:
>
>> I [Ron] just added myself to the sysinstall list.
>>

> Good
>
>> What I envision is a text based system administration suite that will
>> [hopefully] do everything that the "Configure" option on the top level of
>> the sysinstall menu does.  I see it as being part of the base OS, such that
>> once one has rebooted from HD after the install and logged in as root [or
>> user+su], a menu can be brought up by entering "sysadmin" or such.  Does
>> "sysadmin" work for a name?  I kinda like it.
>>

> Do you plan on this tool being run "late in the game" after the system
> has been used for a while or this is a "welcome new user" only tool?

I want it to be both.  Similar in concept to scoadmin on SCO, sysadm on
SVR4, smit on AIX if you're familiar with any of them.

>> I plan on basically going through the sysinstall post-configuration menu:
>>

> [snip configure menu]

[apologies for the way that menu came out..."worked fine on my email!" :) ]

> Do you plan on making this a C based program or a shell script?

/bin/sh and hopefully use the dialog library like sysinstall, if it can
be made to do what needs doing.

>> and as close as reasonable, stick to the same task flow.  I plan on writing
>> it against 10-current and look at back-porting to 9 after it's somewhat
>> stable.
>>

> I'd like to work with you on this, especially w.r.t to ensuring that
> it meets the requirements for entering the base system.

Great!  Give me a few days to get the box up and poke around with the
dialog stuff, and I'll ping you then.

--
Ron McDowell
San Antonio TX