sysinstall as a post-install tool

Eitan Adler lists at eitanadler.com
Wed Jan 4 02:34:36 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jan 3, 2012 at 8:45 PM, Lawrence Stewart <lstewart at freebsd.org> wrote:
> On 01/04/12 11:27, Marcel Moolenaar wrote:
>> In general I think it's a bad idea to revive sysinstall. It doesn't
>> function appropriately on most architectures that FreeBSD supports
>> and it's definitely the opposite of what we've been working towards
>> for at least the last 5 years.

What I said was an offer based on some previous discussion. If people
don't think this is a good idea, or better yet if we have people
willing to work on a new tool lets go with that instead.

> In the sysinstall removal thread, Ron (CC'ed) suggested he might be
> interested in getting involved with writing a post installation config
> script which leverages bsdinstall's sh code where possible, but is separate
> and stand alone. Ron's extensive sysadmin background would be very useful in
> developing such a tool, so it seems silly not to take the offer and run with
> it to see where we end up.

> Ron, are you still interested in this project? What help and/or support do
> you need to get things moving?

I would be willing to work with Ron and develop a useful configuration
tool that fits into the base system a la bsdinstall.

My original hesitancy of writing a new tool had to with past
experience where I was not able to get anyone to review the code. I
think things will likely be different this time.

--
Eitan Adler