FreeBSD fail to install on second hard disk with MBR partition.

Manlin Li mnln.l4 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 06:19:00 UTC 2012

I am trying to install FreeBSD 9.0 on my desktop. I have two hard disks.
FreeBSD is to be installed on the second hard disk.

If I use MBR partition on my second hard disk, the installer will report an
error when extracting base.txz. The exact error message is:
 Code:

Error while extracting base.txz: Can't set user=0/group=0 for
var/emptyCan'tupdate time for var/empty

If I use GPT partition, the installer works fine. If I remove my first hard
disk, installer works on MBR partition as well.

My desktop has a MSI H67MA-E35 (H67chipset) motherboard. SATA is set to
AHCI.

I suspect it is the installer bug. But can anyone help interpret the
possible cause of the error message?

Thanks!