bin/161047: bsdinstall should not run on vt0

Nathan Whitehorn nwhitehorn at freebsd.org
Fri Oct 7 13:46:52 UTC 2011

On 10/07/11 02:30, Jaakko Heinonen wrote:
> The following reply was made to PR bin/161047; it has been noted by GNATS.
>
> From: Jaakko Heinonen<jh at FreeBSD.org>
> To: Ben Kaduk<kaduk at mit.edu>
> Cc: bug-followup at FreeBSD.org
> Subject: Re: bin/161047: bsdinstall should not run on vt0
> Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2011 10:21:30 +0300
>
>   On 2011-09-27, Ben Kaduk wrote:
>   >  In the installer images, bsdinstall appears to be running on vt0,
>   >  which is by default the (video) console.  This means that any console
>   >  spew, such as LOR warnings (which are ~guaranteed at present) will
>   >  overwrite the installer dialogs.  Running the installer on a vt that
>   >  is not the console will prevent this.
>
>   I have an experimental patch to start bsdinstall on ttyv8 when the
>   installer is run on syscons:
>
>   	http://people.freebsd.org/~jh/patches/bsdinstall-getty.3.diff

I don't think this works in the context of serial console installations,
and I'd prefer to keep this kind of logic isolated to things like
/usr/src/release/rc.local instead of polluting the installer itself with
knowledge of how it is run. Can you think of a way to do it that doesn't
break serial installations? There's some logic in rc.local already to
detect the console type.
-Nathan