BSDInstall: merging to HEAD

Nathan Whitehorn nwhitehorn at freebsd.org
Sun Jan 16 22:06:59 UTC 2011

On 01/16/11 10:34, Marius Nünnerich wrote:
> [...]
>> installations of FreeBSD. This means that it should have additional features
>> to support modern setups, but simultaneously frees us to remove complicating
>> features of sysinstall like making sure everything fits in floppy disk-sized
>> chunks.
>>
>> New Features:
>> - Allows installation onto GPT disks on x86 systems
>> - Can do installations spanning multiple disks
>> - Allows installation into jails
>> - Eases PXE installation
>> - Virtualization friendly: can install from a live system onto disk
>>   images
>> - Works on PowerPC
>> - Streamlined system installation
>> - More flexible scripting
>> - Easily tweakable
>> - All install CDs are live CDs
>>
>> Architecture
>> ------------
>> BSDInstall is a set of tools that are called in sequence by a master script.
>> These tools are, for example, the partition editor, the thing that fetches
>> the distributions from the network, the thing that untars them, etc. Since
>> these are just called in sequence from a shell script, a scripted
>> installation can easily replace them with other things, (e.g. hard-coded
>> gpart commands), leave steps out, add new ones, or interleave additional
>> system modifications.
>>
>> Status
>> ------
>> This provides functionality most similar to the existing sysinstall
>> 'Express' track. It installs working, bootable systems you can ssh into
>> immediately after reboot on i386, amd64, sparc64, powerpc, and powerpc64.
>> There is untested support for pc98. The final architecture on which we use
>> sysinstall, ia64, is currently unsupported, because I don't know how to set
>> up booting on those systems -- patches to solve this are very much welcome.
>>
>> There are still some missing features that I would like to see in the
>> release, but these do not significantly impact the functionality of the
>> installer. Some will be addressed before merging to HEAD, in particular the
>> lack of a man page for bsdinstall. Others, like configuration of wireless
>> networking and ZFS installation, can happen between merge and release. The
>> test ISOs are also lacking a ports tree at the moment, which is a statement
>> about the slow upload speed of my DSL line and not about the final layout of
>> releases.
>>
>> Please send any questions, comments, or patches you may have, and please be
>> aware when replying that this email has been cross-posted to three lists.
>> Technical discussion (bug reports, for instance) should be directed to the
>> freebsd-sysinstall list only. Most other discussion belongs on -sysinstall
>> and -current.
>> -Nathan
> Clean new virtualbox on FreeBSD host.
>
> Install ->  German ISO-8859-1 ->  "vbox" ->  Guided ->  ad0 ->  Partition
> ->  "You have canceled an installation step"

That is fixed now. Thanks for the report!

> After using the entire disk and installing some distributions it hangs
> waiting for the root password, it won't continue when I just press
> enter.

I can't reproduce this. What happens if you press control-C?

> The screen output looks garbled by a LOR. The screen waiting for the
> root pw is garbled too. Seems like it's not doing a carriage return,
> just line-feeds. I tried this again a second time and everything
> worked normally.

The LORs are from the UFS system. Since this is a 9.0-CURRENT snapshot,
WITNESS is on in the install kernel. The carriage return issue may be
related to a bug Garrett Cooper found in libdialog which will hopefully
be fixed before too long.
-Nathan