BSDInstall: merging to HEAD

Pieter de Goeje pieter at degoeje.nl
Sun Jan 16 03:59:08 UTC 2011

On Saturday 15 January 2011 16:50:03 Nathan Whitehorn wrote:
> On 01/15/11 00:30, Pieter de Goeje wrote:
> > 2) The Partition Editor's confirmation dialog has two options "Don't
> > Save" and "Cancel"; it is unclear what the difference between the two is.
> > AFAICT "Don't Save" really means "Cancel installation", and "Cancel"
> > really means "Re-edit" (I'm sure there's a better word for that).
>
> How abort renaming "Don't Save" to "Abort?"

Hmm, is there enough room for "Abort installation"? Just to remove any
confusion :-)

> > 4) The Complete dialog doesn't say that it will reboot after pressing OK
> > and gives you no oppertunity to remove the media, so the user will boot
> > straight back into the installer (depends on bios settings).
>
> The first issue is easy to fix. The second is a little tricky to do in
> the context of booting from a live CD. You can't remove the media while
> the kernel is running because it's the root filesystem. I'm not sure
> what the best solution is.

I am thinking out loud here, but wouldn't it be possible to hand off the task
of showing the final "Complete" dialog (or the stuff that needs to be done
afterwards) to a process which is run from an md device? It could then
unmount root and possibly even eject the CD.

> > 5) Pressing cancel in the NIC setup dialog doesn't cancel the
> > installation but continues it without configuring a NIC. Perhaps this
> > could be clarified in the dialog text.
>
> There are several steps like this. The add user, services, keymap,
> tzsetup, and root password screens can also be canceled (by design). I'm
> not sure what the optimal way to signal this to the user is. Beat Gaetzi
> has suggested renaming cancel buttons on cancelable parts of the
> installation to "Skip". The dialog title text could have have (optional)
> appended to it or something. The way I had tried to do it is that things
> that cannot be safely canceled (mostly) don't have cancel buttons right
> now.

"Skip" instead of "Cancel" sounds like an excellent idea.

--
Pieter de Goeje