BSDInstall: merging to HEAD

Pieter de Goeje pieter at degoeje.nl
Sat Jan 15 06:41:08 UTC 2011

On Friday 14 January 2011 19:26:43 Nathan Whitehorn wrote:
> Demo ISO for i386:
> http://people.freebsd.org/~nwhitehorn/bsdinstall-i386-20110114.iso.bz2

Very cool stuff. I've tried it in VirtualBox and it worked well.

I've identified the following issues:

1) The Partition Editor asks if you want to create a boot partition (if you
create a partition with mountpoint /) even if one already exists.

2) The Partition Editor's confirmation dialog has two options "Don't Save"
and "Cancel"; it is unclear what the difference between the two is.
AFAICT "Don't Save" really means "Cancel installation", and "Cancel" really
means "Re-edit" (I'm sure there's a better word for that).

3) These steps result in an error dialog: "Invalid argument size '0'"
   1) Do a complete guided install on a 4GB disk
   2) Restart installer and choose guided install
   3) Select "partition" instead of "entire disk".

4) The Complete dialog doesn't say that it will reboot after pressing OK and
gives you no oppertunity to remove the media, so the user will boot straight
back into the installer (depends on bios settings).

5) Pressing cancel in the NIC setup dialog doesn't cancel the installation but
continues it without configuring a NIC. Perhaps this could be clarified in
the dialog text.

Also, will the complete installer contain & install a copy of /usr/src?

--
Pieter de Goeje