Swap size

Garrett Cooper gcooper at FreeBSD.org
Wed Jan 5 23:33:50 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 3:14 PM, Bruce Cran <bruce at cran.org.uk> wrote:
> On Wed, 5 Jan 2011 23:11:36 +0000
> Alexander Best <arundel at freebsd.org> wrote:
>
>> don't quote me, but i don't think *too much* swap space can cause an
>> issue. if you have a lot of disk space available (> 1TB or so) make
>> it 12 GB. if you only have a few gigabyte of hdd space then choose 6
>> GB swap space.
>
> If really excessive I think it can be, since I think each page of swap
> has to have an associated structure held in RAM.

    Yeah... that's what I thought too because it taxes the vmem subsystem.
    Plus, virtual memory and address space was limited. The OP didn't
say if he was installing i386 or amd64 though -- that will affect the
mappable memory (I would hope that he's doing amd64 though for the
obvious reason that he has 6GB of RAM).
Thanks,
-Garrett