Swap size

Alexander Best arundel at freebsd.org
Wed Jan 5 23:11:37 UTC 2011

On Wed Jan  5 11, Jeff Whitman wrote:
> I will be installing 8.1 on a Dell Poweredge 2850, with dual 3 GHz XEON
> processors and 6GB RAM.
>

> What is the recommended swap space?

at least 6 GB, since otherwise you won't be able to do full core dump after
your kernel panics and without a proper backtrace and such no developer can
help you, if you a panic occurs on your system.

don't quote me, but i don't think *too much* swap space can cause an issue.
if you have a lot of disk space available (> 1TB or so) make it 12 GB. if you
only have a few gigabyte of hdd space then choose 6 GB swap space.

if hdd space is really critical you can even make your swap partition smaller.
i think the issue with full core dumps can be avoided then by doing minidumps
(via sysctl debug.minidump).

if you're running out of swap space you can always add addition free space
via mdconfig(8) and swapon(8).

cheers.
alex

--