removing the junk.

Randi Harper randi at freebsd.org
Tue Jun 22 02:14:29 UTC 2010

Here's a list of the things I'd like to see go away. I plan on
removing them unless someone objects.

Configure ->
  Packages - There are several problems with this.
    - sysinstall is obviously not meant to work with a ports tree as
big as what we've got.
    - If we're going to offer the option to install a ports tree, we
shouldn't be using one that will just be overwritten should portsnap
be used.
    - We should encourage users to use portsnap instead. We're being
blocked on this because something about portsnap and release bits -
I'm not sure. But I need to bug cperciva at .
  Networking - anyone that knows how to use these services won't be
using sysinstall to set them up.
     AMD/AMD flags
     Anon FTP
     inetd
     NFS client
     NFS server - iirc, this is broken anyways.
     PC-NFSD
     rpcbind
     rpc.statd
     rpc.lockd
     routed
     rwhod
     TCP Extensions - although to be fair, I don't know what these
are. I just know that I've never seen them enabled in sysinstall.
  Security
     NFS port - Unnecessary if we're getting rid of NFS server, makes
no sense to have this. Might as well ditch the menu altogether, as
that only leaves securelevel. Put that in the Configure menu instead.
  Startup
     LPD - Requires some manner of configuration outside of sysinstall anyways.
  HTML Docs - If you know how to use a text browser, you know how to
install freebsd. Documentation is still available in other formats.
Docs
  HTML Docs - We like these so much, we list them twice!
Fixit
  Floppy - broken as of 8, fixit floppies are now too big.
Upgrade - I know someone is going to argue with me on this. Probably a
lot of people, in fact, if it gets removed. But sysinstall's upgrade
is a hack, it's partially broken, and it needs to go away. Instead, I
propose we replace this functionality with a dialog box instructing
the user to use freebsd-update.

-- randi