silly, silly sysinstall

Randi Harper randi at freebsd.org
Fri Jul 9 16:42:02 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 2:56 AM, Karsten Behrmann <BearPerson at gmx.net> wrote:
>> Asin, the thing boots correctly, seems to use the proper-OS image
>> as root (otherwise it'd have a hard time finding sysinstall at all),
>
> Silly me. It's too early to be writing mails.
> Sysinstall lives in mfs at first, and then tries to figure out what
> to mount for the other stuff.
> I suppose that's the stage that goes wonky - maybe we need more code
> in the heuristic that determines what "actual root" is...
>
> Still, detailed error message/behavior reports would go a long way ;)

Or, if you *really* want to be awesome with helping us debug this:

* pull down the latest code for sysinstall
* compile it (i recommend making sure it's got -static)
* pop it into the mfsroot of your install media (using a USB memstick
is easier - fixit there is actually functional) along with an
install.cfg that specifies a syslogdServer and network setup
* send us the logs. :P