silly, silly sysinstall

Sean Bruno seanbru at yahoo-inc.com
Fri Jul 9 04:43:11 UTC 2010

Tried out the -current install images from June today on a USB stick.
They seem to work fine.

I then did something non-standard and partitioned my USB stick and put
the i386 and x86_64 images on the same disk.  Much hilarity ensued.
 -- partition 1 houses grub and friends
 -- partition 2 has i386-current install
 -- parition 3 has x86_64 install

1.  Sysinstall assumes that the files to be installed are on
slice/partition 1.  In this odd ball case, they were not.  I think that
sysinstall *could* be made a little smarter, but I am wrong so often
that its becoming a pattern.

2.  *IF* the network configuration fails due to link down or broken
network driver, you never get another chance to DHCP an address.  Minor
but made me want to go stabby.

3.  What the heck am I supposed to do in the "emergency holographic
shell" anyway?  Can we get that thing removed or some kind of "howto"
with it?  In my "special" case, I couldn't figure out how to get to the
fixit image because sysinstall wasn't aware that it's files were
actually on partition 2 or 3.

Want me to poke about in sysinstall, is this an easy fix and I shouldn't
bother or should I go away with my madness and never return?  :-)

Sean