slattach still in RELENG_8

Devin Teske dteske at vicor.com
Wed Aug 4 18:41:50 UTC 2010

Hi Bruce, et. al.,

For network.c (src/usr.sbin/sysinstall/network.c), we appear to have a
tagging issue.

In version 1.55, I see that you've removed PPP/SLIP code (very nice --
originally started out this e-mail with a request to remove erroneous
call to `slattach' which is no longer available in 8.x but was
pleasantly surprised to find that the deed had already been done by you
2.5 weeks ago).

However, I am seeing that the call to `slattach' still exists in
RELENG_8, RELENG_8_1, RELENG_8_1_0_RELEASE, RELENG_8_0, and
RELENG_8_0_0_RELEASE.

Yet... the CVS comment for the commit of version 1.55 of network.c in
MAIN/HEAD which you entered does indeed indicate that the lack of
`slattach' (used in mediaInitNetwork) should propagate to all 8.x tags.

Your CVS comment for 1.55:
"FreeBSD 8 doesn't support kernel PPP or SLIP; remove code for
configuring and installing via such devices from sysinstall." -brucec

I am just curious...

Is a branching of network.c in the works for the remaining FreeBSD-8.x
tags?

I only ask because I'm doing a top-down remediation of sysinstall(8)'s
use of external executables in RELENG_8 and found that `slattach' does
not exist yet is still conditionally called.
--
Cheers,
Devin Teske

-> CONTACT INFORMATION <-
Business Solutions Consultant II
FIS - fisglobal.com
510-735-5650 Mobile
510-621-2038 Office
510-621-2020 Office Fax
909-477-4578 Home/Fax
devin.teske at fisglobal.com

-> LEGAL DISCLAIMER <-
This message  contains confidential  and proprietary  information
of the sender,  and is intended only for the person(s) to whom it
is addressed. Any use, distribution, copying or disclosure by any
other person  is strictly prohibited.  If you have  received this
message in error,  please notify  the e-mail sender  immediately,
and delete the original message without making a copy.

-> END TRANSMISSION <-