Dropping sun4v as a platform

Marius Strobl marius at alchemy.franken.de
Tue May 10 22:31:44 UTC 2011

On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 11:35:21AM -0400, Attilio Rao wrote:
> I tried to look to a previous discussion on this and I failed to
> locate one, thus let me raise the point here.
>
> As I'm working on on largeSMP support, I was wondering how much sense
> makes to fixing sun4v for this.
> Besides having 'tinderbox/universe' working, not so much it seems.
> The code is pretty much rotting and marius@ said explicitely that an
> effective effort on that platform should probabilly be more similar to
> what OpenBSD does with it.

Actually I just said that there should be a combined sun4u+sun4v
codebase like both Linux and OpenBSD have in order to reduce
duplicated code and to ease maintenance. I didn't imply one of
them has superior support for sun4v that we could lift or some
such.

> He also is in favor of dropping the support
> entirely, right now.

No, I just said I'm not against dropping it, nothing more.

Marius