sun4v status

Matthew Macy mat.macy at gmail.com
Sat Aug 30 21:18:04 UTC 2008

On Sat, Aug 30, 2008 at 1:57 AM, Kris Kennaway <kris at freebsd.org> wrote:
> Peter Jeremy wrote:
>>
>> I'm trying to get up to speed with sun4v.  Some questions:
>> 1) Is there a more recent snapshot than 7.0-20061112-SNAP-sun4v-disc1.iso
>
> I don't know if there is a newer ISO image.  You can cross-build a world and
> install that though, if you can get it on there (netboot, live CD, etc).

Just cross-build and netboot, you'll need to do it anyway.

>> 2) Other than the pmap issues (missing TLB shootdowns) what are the
>>   critical issues that need to be addressed?
>
> There might be (probably are) others but it's hard to say until the system
> is minimally usable.

This is the only showstopper that I know of. It can take up to a
couple of hours to hit with SCHED_4BSD. The moment you turn on
PREEMPTION you'll start seeing seg faults at bootup.

>> 3) What state is the virtual network driver in?  I've seen several
>>   suggestions that it was being worked on but can't find it in the
>>   CVS repo.

All I had really working was the initial bits for registering
resources and finding the device handle. I haven't looked at the Linux
sources, but they may be a good reference. I can say from having
looked that the Solaris sources are *not* a good reference except
perhaps to clarify some hypervisor API issues that are ambiguous in
the documentation.

-Kip