standards/123688: POSIX standard changes in unistd.h and grp.h

Garrett Cooper gcooper at FreeBSD.org
Sun Jan 16 20:50:12 UTC 2011

The following reply was made to PR standards/123688; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Garrett Cooper <gcooper at FreeBSD.org>
To: bug-followup at FreeBSD.org, giffunip at tutopia.com
Subject: Re: standards/123688: POSIX standard changes in unistd.h and grp.h
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2011 12:21:17 -0800

     Some comments:
 - getgrouplist, initgroups, and setgroups are no longer in the POSIX
 standard (if they were ever there -- my copy of SUSv7 doesn't list
 them in the system interfaces section). setgroups was actually still
 listed in grp.h so if anything glibc is now more inconsistent than
 FreeBSD's libc in terms of interface locations.
 - mknod and setgrent are still incorrect.
     Given that setgrent is an obsolete API required as an XSH
 extension which have been around for ages, I think leaving it alone
 would be best (FreeBSD does its best to honor standards, but standards
 don't always honor historical behavior unfortunately).
     As for mknod I'll see what the potential fallout would be in terms
 of fixing that header include.
 Thanks,
 -Garrett