Support for C99 complex type required

Rainer Hurling rhurlin at gwdg.de
Sun Feb 6 20:04:32 UTC 2011

For more than a decade now it was possible to install the statistical
program R (http://cran.r-project.org/) from the sources, even without
patching. Since fortran was removed from the system, lang/gcc44 or
lang/gcc45 has to be installed before. In addition a nice port exists
for years now: math/R.

With the new development version of R

   ftp://ftp.stat.math.ethz.ch/Software/R/R-devel.tar.gz

the configure script stops complaining about missing C99 complex types.
This is reproducable with only untaring the sources and starting
configure script in R-devel with ./configure.

There was a discussion on the R-devel mailing list about it. The
developers came to the conclusion that there is no support for complex
functions complied with C99 standard in FreeBSD.

   http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-4.2/c99status.html

As far as I can see (I am not a programmer) FreeBSD is using the old c99
wrapper file in /usr/bin. Am I right that lang/gcc45 should support such
complex functions?

   http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-4.5/c99status.html

Is there any way to get access to C99 complex functions of gcc-4.5.3 or
newer at least within a port?

Thanks for any hint,
Rainer Hurling