Portability question - waitid() missing

Jukka A. Ukkonen jau at oxit.fi
Tue Nov 9 12:14:25 UTC 2010

Greetings everybody,

Would there be enough interest in the community to merge a new system call
to FreeBSD? A the moment there is no waitid() which is anyhow part of the
current POSIX specification...

http://www.unix.com/man-page/POSIX/3posix/waitid/

#include<sys/wait.h>

int waitid(idtype_t idtype, id_t id, siginfo_t *infop, int options)

I implemented waitid() already on 7.0, and I have kept it as a part of my
system all the time through all 7.x updates.
If there were enough interest in the community to merge the implementation
to the common core, I could port the changes to 8.x and donate it.
So, are there committers willing to try the code in their own kernels and
then, if everything seems to be stable after the change, commit the change
to the common source tree?

Cheers,
     // jau