standards/137173: `uname -n` incorrect behavior

Andy Kosela akosela at andykosela.com
Mon Jul 27 13:30:02 UTC 2009

>Number:         137173
>Category:       standards
>Synopsis:       `uname -n` incorrect behavior
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
Currently `uname -n` prints the name of the system (FQDN) to standard output.  I believe this is incorrect behavior according to IEEE Std 1003.1.

-n
    Write the name of this node within an implementation-defined communications network.

On the other hand though HP-UX, AIX, Solaris, Linux seems to conform to IEEE Std 1003.1 in this aspect and print only the hostname (without the domain name). This feature of uname(1) is important for some of us who rely on `uname -n` in PS1.