FreeBSD Port: sysutils/fuser

Stanislav Sedov ssedov at mbsd.msk.ru
Mon Sep 11 12:53:30 PDT 2006

On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 19:09:23 +0100
Roy Marples <uberlord at gentoo.org> mentioned:

> On Monday 11 September 2006 09:58, Stanislav Sedov wrote:
> > On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 21:48:26 +0100
> >
> > Roy Marples <uberlord at gentoo.org> mentioned:
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > I'm currently adding FreeBSD support to Gentoo baselayout rc system. We
> > > use the linux fuser tool a bit, and rely on the return value being non
> > > zero of no files are in use on the requested mount points.
> > >
> > > Attached is a patch that enables the same in FreeBSD
> >
> > But POSIX says the following:
> > EXIT STATUS
> >
> >     The following exit values shall be returned:
> >
> >      0
> >         Successful completion.
> >
> >     >0
> >
> >         An error occurred.
> >
> > So, as I understand correctly, we should return 0 in this case.
>
> Do they define what <0 means? Could always return -1.
>
> A return value is easier than checking output.

But they wants the value 0 to be returned in case of no errors, and
since there are no errors in case of no files opened on mountpoint,
returning non-zero could break some apps that relies on POSIX
functionality.

IIRC, solaris resembles the same behavior.

You can check fuser entry in POSIX, it's available for free on
opengroup.org. I might miss something.

--
Stanislav Sedov         MBSD labs, Inc.         <ssedov at mbsd.msk.ru>
Россия, Москва         http://mbsd.msk.ru

If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts.  -- A. Einstein
PGP fingerprint:  F21E D6CC 5626 9609 6CE2  A385 2BF5 5993 EB26 9581