libstand functions not ansi-c compiliant

Michael Reifenberger mike at Reifenberger.com
Wed Jun 8 13:32:51 GMT 2005

On Wed, 8 Jun 2005, Stefan Farfeleder wrote:

> Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2005 14:54:23 +0200
> From: Stefan Farfeleder <stefan at fafoe.narf.at>
> To: Michael Reifenberger <mike at Reifenberger.com>
> Cc: standards at freebsd.org
> Subject: Re: libstand functions not ansi-c compiliant
>
> On Wed, Jun 08, 2005 at 12:52:42PM +0200, Michael Reifenberger wrote:
>>
>> The advantage would be (thats how I got to this issue at all) that
>> you don't get compiling errors when including <stdio.h> too.
>> (I had to do this to get the definition of FILE for the work
>> on upgrading sys/boot/ficl to ficl4)
>
> I'd consider including <stdio.h> from sys/boot/ficl a bug.

Maybe. Thats debatable.
But by default ficl.h (coming with ficl4)does inslude <stdio.h>
and ficl4 says about itself: ...Ficl is written in strict ANSI C...
Unfortunately <stdio.h> is part of ANSI-C...
So one cant blame ficl4 for that.

>>> You can't just change the return type in the header without changing all
>>> definitions of putchar().
>>
>> It seems that putchar is not implemented in libstand.
>> Do you know where?
>
> Each application using libstand is expected to implement putchar(), see
> libstand(3).

Ah.

Bye/2
---
Michael Reifenberger, Business Development Manager SAP-Basis, Plaut Consulting
Comp: Michael.Reifenberger at plaut.de | Priv: Michael at Reifenberger.com
       http://www.plaut.de           |       http://www.Reifenberger.com