standards/54410 (awk command)

Wartan Hachaturow wartan.hachaturow at gmail.com
Wed Oct 13 09:11:34 PDT 2004

On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 21:09:00 +0200, Jens Schweikhardt
<schweikh at schweikhardt.net> wrote:

> 3. Add {} unconditionally at the risk of breaking awk scripts and point
>    users to awk(1) where it says this should always have been like this.
>    Place prominent note in UPGRADING. Hah, as if anyone reads that :-)

I would certainly vote for that.
If standard requires ERE supports as a default behaviour, then our awk should
behave like that by default.
If scripts use non-standard behaviour, they are broken and should be fixed :)
However, it might be wise to test buildworlds and base system before committing,
and force maintainers to fix scipts in advance -- at least, most important ones.

--
Regards, Wartan.