What's up with /usr/src/usr.bin/alias?

Mark Valentine mark at valentine.me.uk
Wed Mar 3 01:05:27 PST 2004

> From: jkh at queasyweasel.com ("Jordan K. Hubbard")
> Date: Tue 2 Mar, 2004
> Subject: What's up with /usr/src/usr.bin/alias?

> As some people already know, the SUSv2 standards require that a number
> of commands which are typically implemented as shell built-ins also
> exist in /usr/bin (for reasons which are at best clear to The Open
> Group).  Unfortunately, the Open Group UNIX conformance test suite also
> tests that these things actually *work*, which can't be said for
> FreeBSD's current set, as we can see by the following interaction with
> /bin/sh:
>
> # cat
> ^Z
> [1] + Suspended               cat
> # /usr/bin/fg
> fg: No current job
> # /usr/bin/jobs
> # jobs
> [1] + Suspended               cat
> # fg
> cat
> ^D
> #
>
> Using the fg and jobs builtins work, using the "command equivalents" do
> not.

What exactly is the test suite testing?  SUSv3 has this to say in an
informative section:

    "The jobs utility does not work as expected when it is operating
    in its own utility execution environment because that environment
    has no applicable jobs to manipulate. See the APPLICATION USAGE
    section for bg . For this reason, jobs is generally implemented
    as a shell regular built-in."

So it looks like the examples you tried conform just fine.

There are similar paragraphs for cd and so on.

		Cheers,

		Mark.

--
"Tigers will do ANYTHING for a tuna fish sandwich."
"We're kind of stupid that way."   *munch* *munch*