SCCS and batch environment utiltites.

Wartan Hachaturow wart at tepkom.ru
Tue Feb 3 13:38:27 PST 2004

Hello.

As far as I can judge, based on Jens's utilities
POSIX conformance page, two major things we miss are
SCCS and complete batch environment. Other things like
missing options etc. could be hacked in relatively short
time, but these two rise a pretty interesting question --
do we really _need_ them?

SCCS is interesting only as a way to retrieve code from
old repositories and reinject in some modern scs -- is
it worth importing, for example, MySC (which is, contrary
to the GPL-ed CSSC, under public domain) and doing the
hard (C++) work on bringing it to the conformance?

Batch environment services, as far as I can judge, are
important in clustered environments -- and FreeBSD isn't
pretty popular in that area. Things like OpenPBS would
work, but I failed to find any acceptably free realisation
(openpbs, in particular, require user registration to
download -- I doubt we want to have such a software in
base distribution). Of course, I'll try to find something
usable, but is it needed at all?

--
Regards, Wartan.
"Be different: conform."