time_t on sparc64

John-Mark Gurney gurney_j at efn.org
Wed Oct 15 01:57:13 PDT 2003

Marcel Moolenaar wrote this message on Wed, Oct 15, 2003 at 00:44 -0700:
> Yes. The MI code is already done and there's not much MD code that
> is expected to break. It's mostly the structures that change. This
> is especially painful on sparc64 because it's big-endian. I assume
> that sparc64 passes syscall arguments in registers, so the syscalls
> that take a time_t do not change except that there's no sign extension
> prior to use. You can preserve the ABI until 2038 by ignoring the
> upper 32-bits in that case.

There is if you load a signed 32bit value into the register...  sparc
will automaticly sign extend the register when loading a 32bit value..
This was done to be backwards compatible with sparcv8.

So the question is, does the values get loaded into different registers?
or are they packed into a single register?

--
  John-Mark Gurney				Voice: +1 415 225 5579