Status of NFS4.1 FS_RECLAIM in FreeBSD 10.1?

Mahmoud Al-Qudsi mqudsi at neosmart.net
Wed May 20 23:18:26 UTC 2015

Hello,

I have not delved too deeply into either the NFS spec or the FreeBSD nfsd
code, but from my admittedly-limited understanding, it seems that reclaim is
both a mandatory feature and one that is present in the current FreeBSD NFS
v4.1 implementation. Is my understanding of this correct?

My reason for asking is when attempting to migrate an ESXi server to a FreeBSD
NFSv4.1 datastore, ESXi throws the following error:

> WARNING: NFS41: NFS41FSCompleteMount:3601: RECLAIM_COMPLETE FS failed: Not
> supported; forcing read-only operation

VMware ESXi 6.0 is able to mount NFSv4.1 shares exported from other
operating systems, so I figured I would ask here on the list before digging
out a copy of tcpdump and going down that rabbit hole.

I can mount and use NFSv3 shares just fine with ESXi from this same server, and
can mount the same shares as NFSv4 from other clients (e.g. OS X) as well.

Thanks,

Mahmoud Al-Qudsi
NeoSmart Technologies