poudriere jail as root on nfs?

Brandon Wandersee brandon.wandersee at zoho.com
Thu May 14 14:36:35 UTC 2015

On 05/14, Marko Cupać wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was wondering if poudriere jails created with ftp can be exported via
> NFS and mounted from diskless clients as described in handbook:
>
> https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/handbook/network-diskless.html
>
> Are they 'complete' jails, with the same functionality as ones created
> with:
>
> # cd /usr/src
> # make buildworld
> # make buildkernel
> # make installworld DESTDIR=${NFSROOTDIR}
> # make installkernel DESTDIR=${NFSROOTDIR}
> # make distribution DESTDIR=${NFSROOTDIR}

I believe the answer may be "Yes," but why? The package repository is separate
from the jail. Unless you have some exceptional case there's really nothing in
the jail itself worth exporting over a network.

            :: Brandon Wandersee :: brandon.wandersee at zoho.com ::

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely
foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."

                                                            - Douglas Adams