Recommended PCIe Wireless Card for FBSD as Access Point

Stefan Bethke stb at lassitu.de
Sat Jan 24 11:47:47 UTC 2015

The micro server has a free empty PCIe2 x16(8,4,1) slot. I want to mount a
> PCIe wireless card into this slot and add Access Point as an extra service
> to this machine. I'm aware of chapter 31.3.6. with title FreeBSD Host
> Access Points out of the FreeBSD handbook. So next to fit into the slot and
> to be supported by FreeBSD 10+ generally, the card should also be able to
> support HOSTAP.
>
> Can someone recommend me a wireless card that would fulfill the
> requirements? I would very much appreciate your advice.

I haven’t tried it in AP mode, but I’m otherwise very happy with the TP-Link TL-WN881ND PCIe card (168c:002d, AR9227, about 14 Euros).  TP-Link seems to use Atheros chips predominantly, so it’s always a good bet.

Stefan

--
Stefan Bethke <stb at lassitu.de>   Fon +49 151 14070811