Keep -STABLE updated!

Shane Ambler FreeBSD at ShaneWare.Biz
Tue Jan 20 02:03:59 UTC 2015

On 20/01/2015 12:06, Yass Amed wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'd like to clarify a certain info regarding FreeBSD -STABLE.
> Currently, I am running 10-STABLE and need to know if it is mandatory to
> rebuild kernel and world every time I sync the source using "# svn up
> /usr/src"?
>
> Thank You,
>
> @youngunix

No it isn't mandatory, but you may want to rebuild kernel and world
from time to time so you are using the new code changes.

svn up will only bring in new source code changes to /usr/src, you
won't be running any of these changes until you rebuild.

If you run svn up everyday then rebuilding everyday would be overkill,
if you see an update that may effect you then you will need to rebuild
to test it. You may want to rebuild weekly or monthly to help test or
take advantage of changes made.

--
FreeBSD - the place to B...Software Developing

Shane Ambler